Organic, Organometallic and Environmental Chemistry
+91-175-2364498 / 2393005
- Nanocatalysts for water splitting under visible light irradiation
- Photocatalytic degradation and organic group transformation
- Heterogeneous catalysts for Biodiesel production
- PAH’s from Waste Incineration
- Ozonation of activated sludge
- Ph.D. (1996) Title of Thesis: Novel six-membered rings with nitrogen, antimony and oxygen as heteroatoms
Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- M.Phil. (1988) Chemistry (Specialization: Organic Chemistry) Department of Chemistry,
Punjabi University, Patiala.
Title of Thesis: Synthesis of potential anticonvulsant compounds
- M.Sc. (1986) Chemistry (Specialization: Organic Chemistry) Department of Chemistry,
Punjabi University, Patiala.
Teaching / Research Experience
- Professor July, 2015 to continuing, Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala
- Associate Professor April, 2009 to July, 2015, Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala
- Head (SCBC) Aug., 2011 to Mar., 2014
- Assistant Professor April, 2006 to April, 2009, Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala
- Sr. Lecturer July 2002-April 2006, Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala
- Lecturer July 1998 – July 2002, Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala
- Scientist Oct., 1997 - July 1998, R&D Centre, High Polymer Labs Ltd., Faridabad.
- Research Associate May 1996 - July 1997, R&D Centre, JK Pharmaceuticals, Faridabad.
- Senior Research Assistant Oct.,1990 - March 1996, I.I.T., Delhi.
- Lecturer August 1990 - Oct.,1990, Govt., Mahindra College, Patiala.
- Research Scholar Sept.,1987 - June 1990, Punjabi University, Patiala.
- Lecturer Feb., 1987 to Sept., 1987, Shivalik College, Naya Nangal.
Research Project: Continuing
||Title of Project
||Cost (Rs. Lacs)
||Size and Shape Dependent Photocatalytic Activity of TiO2 nanostructures for Selective Reduction of Nitroaromatics
||Satnam Singh Bonamali Pal
Research Projects Completed: Four
||Title of Project
||Cost (Rs. Lac)
||Biphasic catalysis of some hydrogenation reactions in ionic liquids
||Products of Incomplete Combustion from Incineration of Hazardous Industrial Solid Waste
||Heterogeneous catalysts for biodiesel production
||Satnam Singh/ Amjad Ali
||Polycyclic Aromatic hydrocarbons in tea and coffee
Completed Ph.D. Thesis: Six
||Name of student
||Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons from waste incineration
||Ozonation of activated sludge of pulp and paper industry for reduction in quantity and contamination
||Development of heterogenous catalysts for formation of Biodiesel
||Inderpreet Singh Grover
||Photocatalytic degradation of some Pesticides and Polycyclic Aromatic hydrocarbons by Metal doped Titania nanoparticles
||Synthesis and Catalytic Applications of Transition Metal Incorporated Mesoporous Materials
||Rayees Ahmad Rather
||Plasmonic metal-TiO2 nanocatalysts for water splitting under visible light irradiation
(Thesis submitted July, 2017)
Ph.D. Students: Three students are pursuing for Ph.D.
||Name of student
||Date of URB/ Registration
|Entrapment efficiency and release kinetics of antihypertensive drug via biodegradable polymer nanoparticles
||Satnam Singh &
||Roop Chand Prajapat
||Influence of morphology dependent band energetics of TiO2 on photodeposition of underpotential metals and its photoactivity
||Satnam Singh &
|Surface structural, electrokinetic, adsorption and catalysis properties of CaO and Ca3(PO4)2 prepared from natural resources
||Satnam Singh &
Completed M.Sc. Thesis: Seventeen
||Sonication assisted Aza-Michael addition to acrylonitrile under neat and catalyst free conditions
||Rajni Singla/ 30702015
||Microwave assisted reactions under benign conditions
||Sapna / 30702021
||Green reactions under solvent free conditions
||Malka Rani / 30702007
||Incineration and photocatalytic degradation of pyrene
||Satnam Singh & B. Pal
||Amit Vashishth/ 30701003
||Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in tea and cigarette smoke
||Baldish Kaur/ 300802003
||Sodium aluminate as heterogeneous catalyst for biodiesel production
||Richa Aggarwal/ 300802015
||Mixed oxides as heterogeneous catalysts for transesterification reaction
||Tajbir Kaur Minhas/ 300902019
||Lithium doped silicon dioxide as heterogeneous catalysts for transesterification of nonedible oils
||Priority PAHs in some coffee brands
||Sandeep Batish/ 301002014
||Silver nanoparticles impregnated mesoporous SBA-15
|Satnam Singh B. Pal
||Polycyclic Aromatic hydrocarbons formed during Roasting process in Arabica Coffee Beans
||Catalytic and co-catalytic activity of different shapes and sizes of platinum nanostructures
||Satnam Singh B. Pal
||Photocatalytic activity of SBA-15/TiO2 Nanocomposites on Industrial hazardous Materials
||Silver and mesoporous silica nanocomposites for
the selective oxidation of benzyl alcohol
||Quantative and qualitative analysis of essential oil obtained from turmeric rhizomes
||Morphological influence of ZnO nanostructures and Cu loading for the photodegradation of methyl parathion
||Phytochemical analysis and Green synthesis of ZnO and Ag/ZnO nanocomposites from Lascium parasiticum for the evaluation of their toxicology
List of Publications (SCI Journals)
- T. Basu, B. Pal and Satnam Singh, Fabrication of core–shell PLGA/PLA–pNIPAM nanocomposites for improved entrapment and release kinetics of antihypertensive drugs, Particuology 2018, 40, 169.
- T. Basu, B. Pal and Satnam Singh, Hollow chitosan nanocomposite as drug carrier system for controlled delivery of ramipril, Chem. Phys. Lett. 2018, 706, 465.
- T. Basu, Satnam Singh and B. Pal, Fe3O4 @ PLGA‐PEG Nanocomposite for Improved Delivery of Methotrexate in Cancer Treatment, Chemistry Select 2018, 3, 8522.
- Satnam Singh, R. Prajapat, R.A. Rather and B. Pal, Aloe-vera flower shaped rutile TiO2 for selective hydrogenation of nitroaromatics under direct sunlight irradiation, Arab. J. Chem. 2018.
- S. Sareen, V. Mutreja, B Pal, Satnam Singh, Synthesis of bimetallic Au-Ag alloyed mesocomposites and their catalytic activity for the reduction of nitroaromatics, Appl. Surf. Sci. 2018, 435, 552.
- R. A. Rather, D. Pooja, P. Kumar, Satnam Singh, B. Pal, Plasmonic stimulated photocatalytic/electrochemical hydrogen evolution from water by (001) faceted and bimetallic loaded titania nanosheets under sunlight irradiation, J. Clean. Produc. 2018, 175, 394.
- Bonamali Pal, Inderpreet Singh Grover, R.C. Prajapat, Satnam Singh, "SiO2 coated pure anatase TiO2 catalysts for enhanced photo-oxidation of Naphthalene and Anthracene" Particuology, (Accepted) Elsevier IF: 2.280.
- Rayees A Rather, Satnam Singh, Bonamali Pal, “A C3N4 surface passivated highly photoactive Au-TiO2 tubular nanostructure for the efficient H2 production from water under sunlight irradiation” Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 213 (2017) 9–17. (Accepted) Elsevier IF: 8.328.
- Rayees A Rather, Satnam Singh, Bonamali Pal, “Cu+1/Cu0-TiO2 mesoporous nanocomposite exhibits improved H2 production from H2O under direct solar irradiation” Journal of Catalysis (Accepted) Elsevier IF: 6.921.
- Rayees Ahmad Rather, Satnam Singh, Bonamali Pal, “Visible and direct sunlight induced H2 production from water by plasmonic Ag-TiO2 nanorods hybrid interface” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 2017, 160, 463-469. Elsevier IF: 4.732.
- Rayees A. Rather, Satnam Singh and Bonamali Pal, “Photocatalytic degradation of methylene blue by plasmonic metal-TiO2 nanocatalysts under visible light irradiation’’ J. Nanosci. Nanotechno., 2017, 17(2), 1210-1216(7) (ASP IF 1.339).
- Inderpreet Singh Grover, Roop Chand Prajapat, Satnam Singh and Bonamali Pal, “Highly photoactive Au-TiO2 nanowires for improved photo-degradation of propiconazole fungicide under UV/Sunlight irradiation”, Solar Energy, 2017, 144, 612-618. Elsevier IF 3.685.
- Shweta Sareen, Vishal Mutreja, Bonamali Pal and Satnam Singh, “Surface structural, morphological, and catalytic studies of homogeneously dispersed anisotropic Ag nanostructures within mesoporous silica” J. Nanopart. Res., 2016, 18, 332. Springer (IF: 2.101)
- Shweta Sareen, Vishal Mutreja, Satnam Singh and Bonamali Pal, “Fine CuO anisotropic nanoparticles supported on mesoporous SBA-15 for selective hydrogenation of nitroaromatics” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2016, 461, 203-210. Elsevier IF: 3.782
- Akansha Mehta, Amit Mishra, Manisha Sharma, Satnam Singh, Soumen Basu, “Effect of silica/titania ratio on enhanced photooxidation of industrial hazardous materials by microwave treated mesoporous SBA-15/TiO2 nanocomposites” J. Nanopart. Res., 2016, 18, 209. Springer IF 2.278.
- Tanushree Basu, Bonamali Pal, Satnam Singh, “Synthesis and characterization of Ramipril embedded nanospheres of biodegradable poly-D,L-lactide-co-glycolide and their kinetic release study” Advanced Science, Engineering and Medicine, 2016, 8(6), 444-449(6). (ASP) (Global impact factor: 0.987)
- Rayees Ahmad Rather, Satnam Singh, Bonamali Pal, “Core–shell morphology of Au-TiO2@graphene oxide nanocomposite exhibiting enhanced hydrogen production from water” Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, 2016, 37, 288–294 Elsevier IF 4.179
- Vishal Mutreja, Satnam Singh, Tajbir Kaur Minhas and Amjid Ali, Nanocrystalline potassium impregnated SiO2 as heterogeneous catalysts for the transesterification of karanja and jatropha oil, RSC Adv., 2015, 5, 46890-46896. (RSC, IF 3.708).
- Shweta Sareen, Vishal Mutreja, Bonamali Pal, Satnam Singh, Homogeneous dispersion of Au nanoparticles into mesoporous SBA-15 exhibiting improved catalytic activity for nitroaromatic reduction, Micropor. Mesopor. Mat., 2015, 202, 219-225. (Elsevier, IF 3.209).
- Shweta Sareen, Vishal Mutreja, Satnam Singh and Bonamali Pal, Highly dispersed Au, Ag and Cu nanoparticles in mesoporous SBA-15 for highly selective catalytic reduction of nitroaromatics, RSC Adv., 2015, 5, 184-190. (RSC, IF 3.708).
- Inderpreet Singh Grover, Satnam Singh and Bonamali Pal, Enhanced photocatalytic activity of as-prepared sodium titanates for m-dinitrobenzene reduction and sulfosulfuron oxidation, J. Nanosci. Nanotechno., 2015, 15, 1490-1498. (American Scientific Publishers IF 1.339).
- Inderpreet Singh Grover, Satnam Singh and Bonamali Pal, Influence of Thermal Treatment and Fe-Loading on Morphology, Crystal Structure, and Photocatalytic Activity of Sodium Titanate Nanotubes, Particul. Sci. and Technol., 2015, 33, 132-138. (Taylor & Francis IF 0.482).
- Inderpreet Singh Grover, Satnam Singh and Bonamali Pal, Stable anatase TiO2 formed by calcination of rice like titania nanorod at 800 oC exhibits high photocatalytic activity, RSC Adv., 2014, 4, 24704-24709. (RSC, IF 3.708).
- Inderpreet Singh Grover, Satnam Singh and Bonamali Pal, Influence of thermal treatment and Au-loading on the growth of versatile crystal phase composition and photocatalytic activity of sodium titanate nanotubes, RSC Adv., 2014, 4, 51342–51348. (RSC, IF 3.708).
- Inderpreet Singh Grover, Satnam Singh and Bonamali Pal, Photodegradation of Imidacloprid Insecticide by Ag-Deposited Titanate Nanotubes: A Study of Intermediates and Their Reaction Pathways, J. Agric. Food Chem., 2014, 62, 12497−12503. (ACS IF 3.107).
- Vishal Mutreja, Satnam Singh and Amjad Ali, Potassium impregnated nanocrystalline mixed oxides of La and Mg as heterogeneous catalysts for transesterification, Renew. Energ., 2014, 62, 226–233. (Elsevier IF 3.361).
- Inderpreet Singh Grover, Satnam Singh and Bonamali Pal, The preparation, surface structure, zeta potential, surface charge density and photocatalytic activity of TiO2 nanostructures of different shapes, Appl. Surf. Sci., 2013, 280, 366-372. (Elsevier IF 2.538).
- Inderpreet Singh Grover, Rashmi Sharma, Satnam Singh and Bonamali Pal, Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in some Grounded Coffee Brands, Environ. Monit. Assess., 2013, 185, 6459–6463. (Springer IF 1.679).
- Inderpreet Singh Grover, Satnam Singh and Bonamali Pal, Priority PAHs in Orthodox Black Tea during manufacturing process, Environ Monit Assess., 2013, 185, 6291-6294. (Springer IF 1.679).
- S. Gupta, S. K. Chakrabarti and Satnam Singh, Effect of ozonation on degradation of organochlorine compounds in biosludge of pulp and paper industry, Ozone-Sci. Eng., 2013, 35, 109-115. (Taylar & Francis IF 1.257).
- Vishal Mutreja, Satnam Singh, Amjad Ali, Sodium aluminate as catalyst for transesterification of waste mutton fat, J. Oleo Sci., 2012, 61, 665-669. (JOCS IF 1.417).
- S. Gupta, S.K. Chakrabarti and Satnam Singh, Oxi-bioremediation of hazardous biosludge from integrated pulp and paper mill, Ozone-Sci. Eng., 2012, 34, 334-341. (Taylar & Francis IF 1.257).
- S. Gupta, M. Purwar, S.K. Chakrabarti and Satnam Singh, Influence of drying of biosludge on organochlorine compounds from pulp and paper industry, J. Environ Bio., 2012, 33, 85-88. (Triveni Enterprises IF 0.55).
- Satnam Singh, Amit Vashishth, Vishal, PAHs in some brands of tea, Environ Monit Assess., 2011, 177, 35-38. (Springer IF 1.679).
- Vishal, Satnam Singh, Amjad Ali, Biodiesel from mutton fat using KOH impregnated MgO as heterogeneous catalysts, Renew. Energ., 2011, 36, 2253-2258. (Elsevier IF 3.361).
- S. Gupta, S.K. Chakrabarti, Satnam Singh, Effect of ozonation on waste activated sludge of Pulp and Paper industry, Water Sci. Technol., 2010, 62, 1676-81. (IWA Publishing IF 1.212).
- Vinit Prakash, Satnam Singh, Effect of combustion variables on PAHs emission from incineration of cellulose waste filters from Acrylic industry, Environ. Monit. Assess., 2010, 163, 591-598. (Springer IF 1.679).
- Satnam Singh, Vinit Prakash, Toxic Environmental Releases from Medical Waste Incineration: A Review, Environ. Monit. Assess., 2007, 132, 67-81. (Springer IF 1.679).
- Satnam Singh, Vinit Prakash, The effect of temperature on PAH emission from incineration of acrylic waste, Environ. Monit. Assess., 2007, 127, 73-77. (Springer IF 1.679).
- Satnam Singh, N.K. Jha, M.P.S. Ishar, 2,2,2-Triaryl-4-oxo-1,3,2-benzoxaza-stibinines, Heteroatom Chem., 2003, 14, 622-624. (Wiley IF 1.257).
- Satnam Singh, N.K. Jha, 1,3,2-Oxazastibinanes: Novel six-membered heterocycles, Heteroatom Chem., 2003, 14, 417-420. (Wiley IF 1.257).
- P. Sharma, A. Cabrera, Satnam Singh, N.K. Jha, Schiff base complexes of antimony: A review, Main Group Metal Chem., 1997, 20, 551-565. (Freund Publishing IF 0.511).
- Satnam Singh, N.K. Jha, Benzoxazastibinines: Novel six-membered heterocycles, Main Group Metal Chem., 1996, 19, 599-607. (Freund Publishing IF 0.511).
- Satnam Singh, N.K. Jha, Novel 3,3’-(alkanediyl)bis-(2,2,2-triaryl-1-oxa-2-stiba-3-azabenzo[d]cyclohex-5-enes), Heteroatom Chem., 1996, 7, 53-56. (Wiley IF 1.257).
- Satnam Singh, N.K. Jha, P. Narula, T.P. Singh, cis-Dichoro[bis(diphenylphosphino) ethane]palladium(II), Acta Cryst., Sec C, 1995, 51, 593-595. (Wiley Blackwell IF 0.535).
- Satnam Singh, A.Singh, Synthesis of novel 3,6-diaryltetrahydro-2H-1,3-oxazine-2-thiones, Indian J. Chem., Sec. B, 1994, 33B, 465-467. (CSIR IF 0.489).
- N.K. Jha, U.R. Ugal, Satnam Singh, Complexes of trimesitylstibine and tris(p-ethoxy-phenyl)stibine with HgX2 (X = Cl, Br, I or SCN). Preparative investigation and characterisation, Main Group Metal Chem., 1993, 16, 355-365. (Freund Publishing IF 0.511).
Invited Lectures Delivered
- Satnam Singh, Bonamali Pal, Shweta Sareen and Vishal Mutreja, “Homogeneous dispersion of Au nanoparticles into mesoporous SBA-15 exhibiting improved catalytic activity for nitroaromatic reduction” Oral presentation Advances in Functional Materials, Stony Brook University, New York, USA, June 29 to July 3, 2015.
- S. Gupta, S.K. Chakrabarti, Satnam Singh, “Minimization of hazardous biosludge from pulp and paper industry by ozone oxidation” Oral presentation 10th IWA Symposium on Forest Industry Wastewater and 8th International Conference on the Fate and Efects of Pulp and Paper Mill Effluent held in Concepcion (Chile), January 8-11, 2012 p 52.
- Sanjeev Gupta, S.K. Chakrabarti, Satnam Singh, “Effect of ozonation on waste activated sludge of Pulp and Paper industry” poster presentation in “7th International conference on fate and effects of pulp & paper mill effluents and 9th IWA symposium on forest industry wastewaters” June 14-17, 2009 Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada p 93.
- P. Sharma, Satnam Singh, N.K. Jha, ”Organometallic Compounds: New Tertiary Stibines and Antimony Heterocycles” Accepted to XVI International Conference on Organometallic Chemistry held at Univ. of Sussex, UK, 10-15 July, 1994.
Symposium / Workshop / National Science Day Organized
- Convener of seminar: Basics and applications in catalysis, Feb. 24, 2014 by SCORE.
- Convener, National Conference, “Innovative molecules for sustainable future” at Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala from Oct. 24-26, 2013.
- Organizing Secretary, “National Symposium on Green Chemistry: Applications in Science and Engineering” (Sponsored by DST, CSIR & AICTE) at Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala from Feb. 5-6, 2009.
- Organizing Secretary, “National Science Day 2005” (Sponsored by Punjab State Council for Science & Technology, Chandigarh) at Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala on 27th April, 2005.
- Organizing Secretary, “Workshop on Green Chemistry” at Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala on Oct. 12, 2004.
Refresher / Orientation Programmes Attended
- Three week Refresher Course in Chemistry held from 24-11-2003 to 13-12-2003 organized by UGC-Academic Staff College, H.P. University, Shimla-171005.
- Four week’s Orientation Programme held from 27-11-2000 to 23-12-2000 organized by UGC-Academic Staff College, H.P. University, Shimla – 171005.
Training Programs Attended
- Attended Management development programme on “Management capacity Enhancement for Administrators” at IIML, Noida campus from Januray 13-17, 2015.
- Training program on Cleaner Production Technologies (Concepts & Practices) Feb. 7-9, 2006 organized by Department of Chemical Engineering, Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala.
- Attended International Workshop on Green Initiatives in Energy, Environment & Health Dec. 2-3, 2013 at Hotel Maidens, Delhi organized by Green Chemistry Centre of Excellence and others.
- Workshop on Green Chemistry in Real world Practice organized by University of Delhi on May 9, 2009.
- Indo-US Workshop on Green Chemistry held at Hotel Connaught, New Delhi, organized by Department of Chemistry, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007 from 7-9 January, 2008.
- Indo-US Workshop on Green Chemistry held at Hotel Connaught, New Delhi, organized by Department of Chemistry, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007 from 7-9 January, 2006.
- UGC Infonet training programme on “Access to Chemical Abstracts through STN” held at Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani on 6th April, 2004.
- National Seminar on “Intellectual Property Rights” organized by School of Management & Social Sciences, Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala, March 26-27, 2004.
- First Indo-US S&T Forum Workshop on Green Chemistry held at Hotel Connaught, New Delhi, organized by Department of Chemistry, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007 from 17-20 November, 2003.
- Workshop on “High Resolution NMR Spectroscopy of Polymers”, held at I.I.T., Delhi, Dec.1-2, 2001.
- Winter School-cum-workshop on Organometallic Chemistry held at I.I.T., Delhi, Dec. 6-8, 1993.
- Workshop on Advanced Raman Spectroscopy held at I.I.T., Kanpur, Dec. 7-11, 1987.
Other Professional Activities
Member Board of Studies of Other Universities / Autonomous Colleges
- Department of Chemistry, GSSDGS Khalsa College (An Autonomous College), Patiala (2016-2017 and 2017-18).
- Chemistry Department, SLITE, Longowal – 148106 (2016). 12/4/2016
- Vice Chancellor nominee for Board of Studies (Chemistry) of undergraduate studies for 2016-17 and 2017-18 at Mata Gujari College (An Autonomous College), Fatehgarh Sahib – 140407. 6/1/2016
- Chemistry Department, Mata Gujari College, Fatehgarh Sahib - 140407 (2013-2015)
- Chemistry Department, Maharishi Markandeshwar University, Mullana- 133207 (Ambala) 2014-2016
- Chandigarh University, Gharuan – 140413 (Mohali) From 2012-13, 2013-14, 2014-15.
- Chemistry Department, SLITE, Longowal – 148106 during 2012.
- Chemistry Department Lovely Professional University, Phagwara – 144 402 (2008 & 2009)
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Life member – Chemical Research Society of India, Bangalore (LM- 175)
- Life member – Punjab Academy of Sciences (LM-847)
- Member – American Chemical Society (2006-07 and 2007-08)